Saturday, November 1, 2008

When it rains, it pours.

No, I'm not referring to the weather. I had to take my car to the doctor yesterday (Thursday). It wasn't good. It was making sounds that no mechanical object should ever make. I had to treat my poor baby like a stick and shift into neutral at every light, keep my foot on the gas, then shift back into drive once the light turned green. It was more than a little nerve-racking. And, it reminded me that there is a reason why I don't drive a stick - my legs are just too darn short. Anyway, I started to imagine the worst - mostly because of the horrific sound the engine was making - a blown gasket, a cracked head, or even the transmission. Since I don't have any credit cards, I kinda started to freak out. And, except for a couple of recalls and the regular oil change, I've never had anyone but my ASE certified auto/diesel mechanic brother touch my baby. Since Eric lives over 3 hours away, I didn't have a local mechanic to take her to. However, I remembered that one of my college roommates, Lonnilei, and her family used to take their Volvos to a local shop, Rick's Auto on Jefferson in Mishawaka. So, I gave them a call and was able to take her in Thursday afternoon. Luckily, they also have $10/day loaners. That was another reason for my anxiety. How on earth was I going to get to work, get to PIT to prep for my class, etc.? (Please don't get me wrong. I love my life here in South Bend, but sometimes it really sucks to be so far away from my family.) Long story short, there were 3 codes that came up during the diagnostic. The one thing that had to be fixed was the bad injection coil. It was the reason why the car was not running properly. The other 2 things can wait for now. They are "just" sensors that need to be replaced. My new mechanic, Jeremy, fixed my baby girl. I was more than happy to return their loaner. Though the car ran great, it certainly wasn't the prettiest thing I've ever driven. It was/is an early 80's Dodge Spirit. 'Nough said. Poor thing doesn't even have a radio. :( Anyway, I got my baby back Friday afternoon - $450 later. I'm planning to spend some quality time with her on Sunday - giving her a thorough wash, wax, and interior cleaning. Here's to a better weekend! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment